"Oh remember, remember . . . I urge you to find ways to recognize and remember God's kindness."

President Henry B. Eyring

Friday, November 28, 2008

So Thankful!

What a funny Thanksgiving we had this year. So different! I told Ron that this is one we will remember because: tragedy plus time = humor! We didn't have a real tragedy so the day became something to laugh about as it unfolded.

Kids, as you know your Dad is a good sport! All I can say is it's a good thing that Kristi made him such a lovely turkey dinner when he was with her and Julie last month. He kept saying, "It's okay, I had a great turkey meal a few weeks ago!" Thanks, Kristi! And, thanks Jules for the "turkey a-la-king" you made your Dad before he left!

Now, about Thanksgiving: All of our children had dinner at the in-laws this year, so that left Ron and I. I have fed the five-thousand for 36 years (which I love and look forward to many times more) but I decided it was time for a year off, so we planned to go out to dinner and a movie. The movie we wanted to see wasn't there. (We didn't check, we just assumed!) So we saw "The Boy In Stipped Pajamas" which was really well done, but a little sobering and sad for Thanksgiving Day. Okay! So, it was then on to dinner. Except we didn't even think that almost EVERY restaurant in town was closed --- even the fast food! After driving around forever we found one open with a line longer than you could believe. So instead we found a Smith's open, and we figured we'd get something from the deli. Could you believe it was closed? I was grateful though that the workers were home and didn't have to work.

Well, we bought a store brand pizza, brought it home, and baked it (it was the WORST pizza I have eaten in a long time!) I think the taste was even worse than the heartburn it gave me afterward! Then, it was off to a viewing. That's right, a friend of ours died and the family had the viewing on Thanksgiving!

Sometimes you just have to laugh! The evening ended early because we had the temple this morning. We get up at 3:45 a.m. so we try to get a really early night! Before bed we had pumpkin pie (I made some the day before) so the day wasn't a complete loss! Ron really enjoyed his, but after the pizza pie my stomach was rolling a bit. It was a good thing we'd had it earlier for lunch. It was great then.

And I'm still thankful! I'm so thankful that I have my sweetheart to share such a day with! A man who never complains about the food I serve, and can laugh when things don't go as planned! All in all it was a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Bonnie, what a day. Two years ago I had strep and was left home alone while Paul took the kids to his parents then stayed there all day long. He thought I'd just sleep the day away. At least that didn't end with a viewing. Days like this just mean that you're not immune to being human. I have leftovers that you're welcome to if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about your day...I must say I think that even beats the time we left for a movie and the oven wasn't on! I think we had Thanksgiving dinner at midnight that year :) I'm glad you guys can laugh about it and share it with each other.

    ReplyDelete