"Oh remember, remember . . . I urge you to find ways to recognize and remember God's kindness."

President Henry B. Eyring

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Charity NEVER Faileth

Tonight I was at Walmart at 8:00 p.m. I was tired. I looked around and EVERYONE seemed tired. The clerk was a young man who looked tired too. I handed him a clothing item first and asked him not to lay it down on the wet and dirty counter. He glared at me and literally snatched the item from my hands. Then he stomped off to get some towels to wipe the counter. Then, after glaring at me again he angrily called someone to bring him cleaner and more towels. I tried to explain that he only needed to keep my clothing off the wet counter and it would be okay.

He just glared at me again, and I said in an impatient voice. "Hey, I didn't do anything."

He just continued on with my order completely ignoring me. I felt annoyed and embarassed and wondered what had happened to friendly customer service, even civility, and I considered finding a manager to complain about this rude angry clerk.

Then for no reason I just smiled at him and said, "Hey, just smile! I'm old enough to have learned that no matter how bad today seems, things ALWAYS get better. Now, can you please just give me a smile?"

And, he couldn't help himself. He did. Then, he walked around the counter, shook my hand and thanked me saying, "You are very kind" and thanked me again as he pumped my hand.

My surprised smile spread to my eyes this time and I replied, "Now that's better. You have a great night and a wonderful day tomorrow!" I left him chuckling and I felt great. I didn't feel tired. My steps were light as I walked to my car passing on his smile, to all the tired, cranky people on my way out.

Charity NEVER does fail! I hope I remember to try this more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment