"Oh remember, remember . . . I urge you to find ways to recognize and remember God's kindness."

President Henry B. Eyring

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Styles of Leadership


Ron has always taught our children a wonderful concept about leadership. He heard somewhere that there are two ways to move a string---you can push it or pull it. Pushing is hard and frustrating work, especially when the person or persons you are trying to push dig their heels in. Most people don't like to be forced, and we all know whose plan that was. In contrast I have thought of the Saviors wonderful example. He eagerly climbs the summit of possibilities, and though He has already ascended to the top he unselfishly turns and beckons to us "Come Follow Me" but He doesn't just say come, He reaches down to give us a hand up. Pulling the string always reminds me of Greg Olsen's beautiful art piece "Be Not Afraid" I love this picture and I love the Savior.

That is also why I love Ron so much. He isn't perfect yet but I want you to know that everyone who has ever worked with him or for him has proclaimed to me that he is the nicest man they have ever worked for and I agree! Being nice to our fellow workers, especially the ones we have stewardship over whether in the church, on the job, or at home, inspires loyalty and a desire to please. Their cooperation and productivity soar much higher and hey, everyone is happier and has more fun along the way!

1 comment: