"Oh remember, remember . . . I urge you to find ways to recognize and remember God's kindness."

President Henry B. Eyring

Friday, May 27, 2011

So Many Modern Blessings!

A few people have wondered if I'm ever going to blog again. My beautiful daughter and her family were here last week from California, and this week I have been in bed. Literally! For days and days and days. I have had the mother of all colds (probably the flu) and ear pain that I couldn't believe! I finally went to the Dr. yesterday and found out I have a raging ear infection in both ears. She said if I'd waited until Monday, my eardrums would have burst! And, she said that at my age it could result in permanent hearing loss. (That's so weird to keep hearing at my age. Am I really at that age?) Well, I'm on heavy duty antibiotics for the next two weeks and finally this afternoon the pressure in my ears is easing up! Yay! I may live!

This week lying in bed too sick to read or even watch TV, I thought of my Grandmother Burghardt my father's mother, who died in the great flu epidemic after World War I. She was a young mother of eight, only in her thirties. I thought a lot about the suffering she must have gone through, and especially of how broken hearted she must have been at leaving her precious children. Today, as I've finally felt like I'm coming out of this thing, I thought of her again, and wished I could have gone back in time to share some of our amazing antiobiotics with her. What blessings we have in this crazy modern world.

I also remembered all the nights of walking the floors with my babies as they suffered through their ear aches! THEY REALLY HURT! How grateful I am that I could get medical help for them. And again how grateful I am for the blessings we enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I sing the praises of modern medicine with you my friend! Without it, I would have hobbled painfully on a ruined knee for the rest of my life! We are in Glasgow at present, the first of my 3rd great grandmothers descendents to return here - a family I have spent years researching and plan to write a historical fiction about. As always, when I walk in their footsteps, I am caught in a time warp that leaves me marveling at my own day and time. I just finished "The Joy Outweighs the Sorrow" last night and was touched and delighted. It has given me much to muse about. I am inspired. Love and BLESSINGS to you for writing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear you have been so sick! That's horrible. Wish I lived close enough to bring you chicken soup. Thank goodness for medicines to relieve our suffering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad your feeling better Bonnie. I like how your mind wanders to your family on the other side of the veil. Mine does too :)

    ReplyDelete