"Oh remember, remember . . . I urge you to find ways to recognize and remember God's kindness."

President Henry B. Eyring

Monday, October 27, 2008

Paradigm Shifts

Perhaps the greatest barrier to a paradigm shift, in some cases, is the reality of paradigm paralysis, the inability or refusal to see beyond the current models of thinking..

Ron issued a challenge to me---to shift my thinking in certain areas. I've been giving it a great deal of thought. I actually had a small revelation after praying and pondering about something for awhile. I'm so insecure about most things, mostly myself---my abilities, etc. etc. etc. Wow, how different things can seem when you take a look at the world from a different angle.

For instance Ron worked with this man years ago in scouts, who was really hard for most people to get along with, he was just stubborn and difficult. Then we found out he had a brain tumor, and that it had dramatically altered his personality. He eventually died from it, and before he did, it changed everything about the way we viewed him.

In the Book of Mormon, Jacob talks about seeing things as they really are. That is what Ron's challenge has started me searching for---truth! Anyway, I found this really great quote which I find very thought provoking!

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There is nothing enlightening about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you." -Marianne Williamson, 1993

I hate to hurt people's feelings. I just hate it! Not that I don't, but I have NEVER purposely tried too, ever! I spent too many years as a child being called names and feeling rejected! Well, because of that I spend a lot of time worrying about the things I say. It's just so much easier to be invisible, because no one criticizes someone they don't see. As a gospel doctrine teacher I'm forced to be up front and believe me I am out of my invisible comfort zone. My little revelation was how people in my class really perceive me. It's a crazy thought (which I'm not ready to share) but wow---it has shifted my thinking, it really changes everything! Anyway this quote is calling to me. I hope that it might resonate with you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment