"Oh remember, remember . . . I urge you to find ways to recognize and remember God's kindness."

President Henry B. Eyring

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Hoorah For Zion!


It was a wonderful Sabbath day. The one day a month that I teach are usually like this but today was especially so. I love teaching because it gives me the opportunity to bear my testimony and feel the spirit. It reminds me of how much I love Heavenly Father and reminds me of the hope of the gospel through Christ! It reminds me of how much I love my family and how much happiness I desire for them all!

All of the opposition the church has been experiencing over Proposition 8 has made me nervous and sad. Ron and I listen each Sunday night to the special on channel 14, on the Joseph Smith papers. It is a research project undertaken by scholars at BYU to read and publish all of the papers written by and about Joseph Smith. They are learning new things and it is wonderful to follow each week. Tonight's segment was about the legal premises for which Joseph Smith and the other leaders were imprisoned in liberty jail in Missouri. Attorneys went over every bit of recorded evidence and procedure and it was awful at how trumped up and really illegal everything was. It scared me that this kind of misinformation and bigotry could happen again today. Then, they always air last weeks segment (which we missed) and it was on the twelve apostles missions to England. One of the Pratt brothers was the most educated and was sent to a university city in England (I forget where, I forget so many things lately that it scares me, but all my friends do too, so that is somewhat comforting.) Anyway as he was presenting his message the scholars were polite and interested in a new idea, but not to the extent of becoming converted. He wrote that he wished he was experiencing more opposition like the other brethren were who were baptizing hundreds, so it could stir more interest. Well, his wish was granted and because of the opposition several hundred were baptised.

That gave me comfort and made me remember the temple in Denver. After all of the publicity and opposition more than 100 thousand attended the open house because of curiosity and so many baptisms resulted! It got me thinking about all this negative publicity the church has been receiving and then I thought of all the good Americans out there who know Mormons as neighbors and co-workers and friends. Most people are decent and good. They will see the reality of the vicious attacks as opposed to the good people they know and it will spark their curiosity. You know, I really believe that it will be these kinds of things that will cause the honest in heart to seek for the Lord! Life is good! The gospel is true! The Lord is in charge! Good will prevail! I feel like shouting as Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball did as they rose off their sick beds to wave goodbye to their families and shouted "Hoorah for Zion! Hoorah for Zion!"

I think that is really what Ron, Aubrie and Julie were doing at the Rocky statue in Philadelphia weren't you guys?

Hoorah for Zion!

No comments:

Post a Comment